Monday, January 26, 2009

Breaking It Down: The Swim and Transition 1


I thought it might be of interest to those that do not know much about the sport of triathlon to break down the three disciplines and my strategy on Friday. Today I will review the Swim and the first transition, swim to bike.
Today's picture is circa 1977 at Nags Head, NC. I burned off lots of energy on those annual vacations playing in the ocean. Thanks Mom and Dad for teaching me to swim and paying all those dues to the swim team. Over 30 years may have passed, but the swim training is still serving me well.


What can you say about the swim in a triathlon?

It's wet and it is the shortest leg in both time and distance. The iron distance swim is 2.4 miles or 4,224 yards. Since I will be swimming in a pool, I will need swim 169 laps. The swim will always be my strongest leg. Success in the swim is highly correlated with technique. I'm not the strongest guy at all, but I was fortunate to learn decent technique when I was a kid.

Here is how I hope everything will shake out on Friday morning:

5 am: Arrive at Hoover Rec all fueled and hydrated.
5:05 Get the day started with a plunge into the pool. The temperature is kept at a constant 82 degrees so there won't be much of a shock to the system. The shock will come on the bike.
5:10 Begin my mantra of long and smooth strokes. The mantra is needed because I find the first 1000 yards or so of a long swim are the most difficult mentally. I feel confident I will finish the swim without any issues as I have swum the full distance without stopping twice in the last month. My pace will be like that of a Sunday drive. I view the swim as a long warm up for the bike.
5:40 I should be about halfway done with the swim. I will have lap counters and every time I complete 1000 yards, they will submerge a kickboard before I turn. There is something psychological about getting past the halfway point. I will probably stop at the deep end and take a gel. I want to get in as many calories as I can early in the day. Don't worry, I'll be treading water.
6:00 I should have about 15 minutes to go. The last 1000 yards are always the most enjoyable. My mind starts wishing the swim was a little longer and the whole 2.4 miles has been fun.
6:15 The swim should be over in about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Upon exiting the pool, it's time to get ready for the swim.
6:16 Into the locker room. First order of business: consume a couple hundred calories and drink 8 to 10 oz of water. Second order of business: Begin changing into bike clothes. If this was a competitive event held in the summer, the top tri dudes and gals would bike in the same attire that they swam in. With 30 degree temps and my desire to be as comfortable as possible, I am getting out of anything wet and into warm biking clothes. I'll give you the run down from toes to head.
Foot wear: Wool socks, "toasty toes" foot warmers on top of socks, bike shoes, bike shoe covers. The feet are one of the toughest things to keep warm on a bike. The toes don't move much and since I are not bearing any significant weight on my feet, they tend to get cold quickly.
Legs: Biking shorts and long biking pants over the top. This works well into the mid-20's. I don't think the temp will be below 25, but if it is, I may have to bring out the heavy artillery.
Chest and arms: Coolmax t-shirt, heavier zip shirt with wicking properties, long sleeve bike jersey, wind breaker. Layers are good, especially if it gets warm later in the day. This arrangement is ideal for 30-40 degree temps. Above 40, I have to start unzipping some things to cool off.
Fingers: Thermal bike gloves with "hot hands" hand warmers. Fingers get cold easily, too.
Head: Ski mask that covers head, ears, face and neck. Helmet. Sunglasses.
Ancillary Supplies: I will have about 8 hours of nutrition crammed into my jersey along with a cell phone, credit card, and a couple of dollars. I'll have electrolyte tablets for the ride and water for the first two hours or so.
I've got to believe it's going to take a good 10 - 15 minutes to get all this garb on and get down to the front of the building where I start the bike.
Tomorrow: My weakest leg, the bike.
Blessings to you all,



Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment