Sunday, January 25, 2009

Things I Can't Do


Only five more days to go until the big event!! Today's picture comes from my 2008 summer family vacation on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  My sister, cousin, and I would do an open water swim to a nearby pier and back. It's great open water training and we were able to swim in everything from calm to rough conditions.  

Word has spread about the 140.6 Swim, Bike, and Run to the Cross One Man Triathlon and I have received much encouragement.  Thanks to all you who have supported me and plan to drop by at some point during the run.  It means more than you know.  

Over the last week, many people have asked me if I can really make the 140.6 mile distance or they wonder how I am going to complete such a crazy challenge.  I've got to say that after my "drop out" in Arizona in April, I too, have doubts.  It raises the question, is a 140.6 mile triathlon something I can't do?  I don't know and won't know until I try.  And in a weird way, that's why I like tough challenges.  The outcome is in doubt.  

No one, including myself, is going to be able to answer the question of whether I will finish or not until sometime on the evening of January 30.  All of you will know the answer the same time as me!  No amount of self talk, whether positive or negative, will guarantee an outcome.  

So here I type, wondering whether this is something I can or can't do. What am I going to do? First, I am going to take to heart the verse, Matthew 6:34, "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."  These are great words to remember for everything.

Second, I am going to focus on things I can do:  
  • I can be grateful for having a body and mind able to try this challenge
  • I can be grateful for being able to spend all day (and then some) outside in nature among the elements.  
  • When swimming, I can focus on putting one arm in front of the other.  
  • When biking, I can concentrate on making smooth circles with the pedals.
  • When running, I can keep putting one foot in front of the other.  
Third, I can keep praying for Daniel and Magen Davis and their quest to be missionaries in France.  

As you can see, I've got a long list of things I can do before I ever need to grapple with the unaswerable question of "What Can't I do."  

Take care and I'll post again soon.

Chris



1 comment:

  1. 5 days to go! We are really looking forward to celebrating with you this weekend! Just remember...YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete