Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bring It On!


Today's picture was taken by my family from a bridge at the start of Ironman Arizona 2008 and is the perfect lead in to my last pre race post. It is quite a contrast between starting in a human powered washing machine and having a lane at the rec center all to myself.


My event photographer asked me today to compare how I felt the day prior to Ironman AZ versus how I feel one day prior to Swim, Bike, and Run to the Cross 140.6. Here goes . . . .


The biggest difference for me is that physically I have a better sense of what is ahead of me. A freind told me completing an ironman is like wrestling a gorilla. The catch is that the gorilla tells you when to stop, not the other way around.


There is a different kind of hoopla surrounding this event. I have made far more personal connections this time, but there won't be fellow competitors on the race course. I will have someone swimminng with me and numerous people are going to run a few miles which will be nice.


I have maintained a sense of peace and calmness regarding this event. Prior to Ironman AZ, one of my prayers was to accept any outcome and as I said then and I say now, I was at peace when I didn't finish. There were no regrets.


In the spring and now, I enter the race with a feeling of gratefulness. All that I have and all that I am was given to me by God. In Arizona, I tried to remember how grateful I was to be able to race on the same course with incredible athletes in an event where the outcome was unsure. I hope to carry the same attitude tomorrow.


If you've made it this far in the blog post, I ask that you pray for missionaries Daniel and Magen Davis and all the people in France. I ask that you pray for safety, patience, and strength for me on race day, and finally, that God can honored in all aspects of this triathlon.


If any praise or complements come my way, I redirect them to God as He deserves all the praise, glory, and recognition.


A race report will follow Saturday or Sunday.


Blessings to you all,


Chris

1 comment:

  1. GO CHRIS!

    We're rootin' for ya! We wish we could be there at the finish, but we will be out of town until late tonight. We'll be following thru the internet & word of mouth tho - we're keeping you in our prayers!

    God Bless! Carole & Butch Byrd

    ReplyDelete