Saturday, January 10, 2009

Doors Opening and an Announcement


The countdown continues.  One of the cool things that has happened as this one man triathlon has taken shape is the opportunity to make new friends and strengthen relationships.  I have a couple of thoughts on this.  They are not earth shattering, but are worth mentioning.  
  • Meet new people.  What started as an idea to do a solo triathlon has moved into the chance to work on a missions project with two missionaries, Daniel and Magen Davis, and the missions pastor, Pam Bates, at Christ Church.  I have three new friends.  
  • Learn new technologies.  Twitter, Facebook, gmail???  All new to me, but I'm getting there.  It's amazing what is available to connect with people and share information.  I had no idea.  
  • See things from a different perspective.   Yesterday I had the chance to have coffee with a friend and run through my entire plan for the race, supporting Daniel and Magen, etc.  His response was, "Cool, a rogue ironman.  You ought to charge people to join you as individuals or as a relay."  Interesting idea.  Definitely one that I never contemplated.  
  • Have people asking to pray for me.  A couple of folks have asked if they can be on the "team" and pray for me during the weeks leading up to the event.  Humbling.
  • Get out of my comfort zone.  Virtually everything I'm doing is a first for me.  It's easy to look forward and get overwhelmed or anxious.  I'm trying to focus on today.  Tomorrow will come.  Phillipians 4:6 is a good one to remember.  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thansgiving, present your requests to God."  
It is stating the obvious to say these things are happening because I took action.  That's the way it works.  Action leads to a result.  Why is it that in the spiritual realm (that's God for all those following along) so many people, present company with a season ticket in the front row included, are content to sit back and watch?  Is it because people don't know what to do?  Is it because people don't want to or are afraid to do what they think they should do?   I can say I have had all these feelings and probably will in the future, too.  But before saying no to something out of perceived fear or difficulty, I'll know in my conscience that the blessings that I received in the one man triathlon endeavor outweighed any fears or challenges.  Finally, thank you to all those unnamed people who too action, large or small, to spread the knowledge and the Word of the Lord.  It has helped me immeasurably.  

Announcement:  Our race flyer is finished!!!  I am attempting to attach a link to the race flyer on the right hand side of the blog.  We'll see how it goes.  

Over the next day or so I will be sending out emails with the flyer to friends, family, and contacts I have in the triathlon world.   It will be exciting to see what happens.  

Until tomorrow

C

1 comment:

  1. Wig,

    Great stuff. You may already be aware of it, but a passage that has been incredibly challenging to me along the lines that you discuss, and one I finally heeded in deciding to go on a mission trip myself, is James 2:14-17:

    "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

    Your decision to put yourself through the pain of an IronMan event is completely crazy, but some might think that believing that God would send his son to join us and be crucified is crazy. So, at least you're crazy for a good cause! Best wishes and be strong,

    Bobbo

    ReplyDelete