Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dreams, Goals, Challenges, France

If you have made your way to this blog, welcome. Over the next 27 days, I am going to chronicle my journey as I attempt to complete an Iron Distance triathlon. There are lots of twists, turns, nooks and crannies to explore as I recall what has gotten me to this point and where I hope to go. My blog posts are going to be a blend of athletics, spiritual reflection (that's God for all those wondering), and preparation as I make my way to the starting line on January 30th. Grab a beverage, pull up a chair, and come along for the ride. My goals are set, but the outcome is far from certain.

Personal Background

My name is Chris Hartwiger. I'm 44 years old and live in Birmingham, AL, with my wife Kathy and two children. I've been involved in sports for most of my life and over the last ten years my main athletic interests have been running marathons, playing golf, and triathlons. I'm average in these pursuits but I enjoy setting goals for difficult athletic challenges.

A love of golf and endurance sports may seem contradictory, but they share several things in common. Both are solitary and leave plenty of time for contemplation. One can get "lost" in an hour on the driving range or on a run. Both rely on your efforts only. You control your fate. It is a lonely yet exhilerataing feeling to need two pars to break 80 and going bogey, bogey. It's the same way trying to keep your pace going for the last four miles of a marathon and slowing to a crawl. I've done both and they always leave you wanting a little more.

Summary of What I Am Doing

To get the blog started off on the right foot, I better explain now what this is all about. Below is a summary of what I will be attempting on January 30, 2009. I'll fill in the details later in the post.

On January 30, 2009, I am going to attempt to complete an iron distance triathlon in Birmingham, AL. I will be the only participant. The first question most ask is, “Why?” There are three main reasons.
1.) Honor God and acknowledge His influence on my life. I learned in Mark 5: 21 – 31 that Jesus heals all types of people. He asks some to acknowledge the healing publicly and others privately. Developing a personal relationship with Jesus has meant more to me than words can say.
2.) Publically and financially support missionaries Daniel and Magen Davis in their calling to France. I have benefitted immeasurably from reading the Bible, attending church, and listening to teachings on the Scripture. All these occurred because someone took action. I have the opportunity to support Daniel and Magen as they take action in France to spread God’s Word. By following the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20), they will have an impact for generations in France.
3.) Attempt the greatest physical challenge of my athletic career. I participated in Ironman Arizona in April and fell short by thirteen miles. I would like another crack at this challenge.

Questions??
Is this an "official" race?
It is not an official race. I am the only entrant. I put together the course. I decided it would not be the best use of my family's resources to travel to an official race. I would rather support Daniel and Magen Davis in raising funds for their mission to France and awareness about Christianity in France. My goal is to complete the distance. It isn't important to me to do it an official race.

What is an Iron distance triathlon?
An Iron distance triathlon consists of 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking, and 26.2 miles of running.

Where will the race take place?
Given the temperatures outside and the need to start before sunrise, the swim will be in a pool. The bike course will be the roads south of Birmingham, AL in north Shelby County. The run will be on the trails at Veterans Park in Hoover, AL.

How can I learn about Daniel and Magen Davis and their mission to France?
They have a website www.francemission.com and an email danieland magen@gmail.com.

Preview of Tommorrow's Post

Wilting in the Arizona Heat - My First Ironnman Attempt

All the Best,

C

2 comments:

  1. Seems like a big challenge but you seem to have a good support team. Good luck and I look forward to reading about the progress. I will try to give you a call tomorrow. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a big challenge, but you have a good support team. I look forward to reading about the experience on your blog. Good luck. I will give you a call tomorrow. Sandy

    ReplyDelete